Linking Bike49 to the Classroom
Bike49 presented to over 3,500 students grades kindergarten to high school in a wide variety of settings. Whether in small groups or full school assemblies bike49's objective was to showcase the diversity of the United States, the excitement of trying new things, and the importance of healthy lifestyles for a healthy planet. Bike49's presentation included information on geography, environmental science, health education and -of course- dreaming big.
A Typical Bike49 Presentation
A typial presentation ran one hour and using photo slideshows and our bicycle equipment we covered the following topics:
- Who We are
- What Bike Touring is and What Equipment is Needed
- Our Route
- We Bike To See New Places
- We Bike to Meet New People
- We Bike to See Interesting Animals
- We Bike to Keep the Planet Healthy
- We Bike to Keep our Bodies Healthy
- We Bike Because it is Fun
- We Bike to Reach a Goal. What is your Dream?
Teachers could also choose one to four of the following centers. Teachers choose to either split class into groups (up to four) or do the centers as a class. This will depend on the size of class, space and time available, and interests of the teacher. Each center will require approximately ten minutes.
- Exercise Fun: Get excited about exercise.
- Global Solutions: Using photos discuss environmental problems and solutions to those problems.
- Space Required for Transport: Calculate how many students could fit in the typical parking space.
- My Dream Bike: Get creative and imagine the bike of the future.
- Passenger Miles Per Gallon: How much energy do different transportation choices use.